Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Argument by Authority

I like G.B.Shaw quotes, as you may presume reading "about me".

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”

You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'

Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it.

George Bernard Shaw quotes (Irish literary Critic, Playwright and Essayist. 1925 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1856-1950)

2 comments:

SUCHARITA ROY said...

i had the impression of gbs being a misognist for long, until man and superman told me otherwise, still i cannot take his megalomaniacism about uk and derogation to al the rest ..esp india..like kipling

GeekBeyondRedemption said...

I've not read G.B.Shaw, just like some of his quotes. I'm a pessimist and a cynic, so I tend to agree with the way he expresses his ideas. As a doctor I presume you can't afford to be a pessimist :-)

I had access to a copy of Man and Superman, but wasn't able to read it. How is the book? Is it a story of some kind? Or is it non-fiction?

I'm a hardcore Science Fiction fan(atic). I also read a lot of popular science and economics, etc. I stay about 50m away from 'literature' when possible. Where literature is defined as anything that would be up for a Booker prize for instance.